Lying on the western flank of Glasgow's city centre is Blythswood Square. Likened to Edinburgh's New Town, the square housed the city's wealthy merchants in four grand terraces of Georgian townhouses from 1800 onwards.
In the mid-1920s, the east terrace of townhouses was converted into the club headquarters of The Royal Scottish Automobile Club (RSAC). Despite being one of the official starting points of the Monte Carlo Rally, by 2002 membership had dwindled and the building was sold.
In November 2009, it reopened as a luxury five-star hotel and remains the only one with AA accreditation in Glasgow to this day.
Now, The Principal Blythswood Square Hotel is being spruced up for the 21st century, with a multi-million pound refurbishment that will refresh all of the existing guest rooms and suites with an elegant, new look; create a new, two-bedroom penthouse suite (with over £650K being invested); add 12 new bedrooms; and upgrade the Spa reception area and lounge.
Phase one is now completed with upgraded bedrooms and a refurbishment of the spa.
Phase two, has already seen the launch of The Penthouse, one of the finest suites in Glasgow, and the launch of a brand new restaurant & bar will complete the plans.