When Alan Doble Sanderson bought De Vere Selsdon Estate back in 1924, the grand mansion house had an Anglo-Saxon hall, a medieval estate of the Knights Templar and a Victorian country seat as just some of its former lives.
Its story starts as far back as the 9th-century when the area was named Selle Dun, meaning mansion on the hill. By the 16th-century, the manor has been gifted to Sir John Gresham by King Henry VIII and it is believed he stayed there whilst secretly courting Anne Boleyn.
The transformation into a luxury country house hotel ran from 1924 and throughout the 1930s with architect Hugh Mackintosh adding an east and west wing and creating the statement house that still stands today with its neo-Jacobean style and red-bricked façade.
Today, the story of this hotel is taking a new direction. Now part of the De Vere brand, a multi-million-pound refurbishment is taking place to bring the hotel back to its former glory along with all the luxury and comforts a modern-day guest needs. Think a complimentary pair of Hunter wellies for a walk and really fast, free Wi-Fi throughout.
Phase one is due to complete by the end of February with 54 fully-upgraded bedrooms, a new reception area and upgraded meeting rooms.
Phase two will see the ground floor completely transformed along with a brand new destination restaurant and bar, due to complete late March 2018.
Garden sculptures have been commissioned for the grounds (including a herd of deers), along with a refresh of the golf-club and outdoor terrace, where guests can dine with views of the wonderful Surrey countryside.